This virtual on-boarding will teach you how to become the best Wolt Courier out there. After you master everything in this on-boarding, you should be ready to start earning money as soon as tomorrow!
After reading through this manual, you should know the following things:
- What is Wolt?
- Earnings model
- Smartphone applications meant for Wolt couriers
- How to use the gear you receive from Wolt and what you’ll have to get yourself
- Appearance according to Wolt standards and personal hygiene
- Delivering with Wolt
- How to communicate with Wolt as a courier
- How to react in problem cases
- Things you should never do as a courier
- All of us eat – two to five times a day.
- Wolt is the world’s most advanced mobile interface for getting great food with the push of a button.
- Wolt combines a clean, smooth app with a word-class food delivery service.
It lets users order their meal to be delivered, have it as takeaway or to be eaten at the restaurant.
- Food is an experience. Wolt guarantees it's an excellent one – starting from the moment the user picks a restaurant and builds their order to getting it delivered to their location. As reliably and fast as possible.
- In 1–2 years, the home screens of our smart devices have one icon for getting food.
Wolt is going to be that icon.
- As Wolt is the world’s most advanced mobile interface for getting great food, couriers working with us need to be the best as well. That’s why we want you to join us.
”I want flexibility about when and how much I work”
”I want to be able to drive last minute / change my hours / drive anytime without scheduling hours”
”I want to earn more per hour if I do more deliveries”
”I want to be paid more if I do longer deliveries”
Once you’re accepted as a Wolt Courier, you can go online whenever you want, start delivering and earning money. Sometimes, especially during weekends, we need to ensure that we have enough couriers and that's when we offer pre-booked hours with guaranteed earnings. You can check if there are any available every Thursday.
For pre-booked hours your earnings are based on either the hourly guarantee OR the delivery and distance fee, whichever results in a higher total payout for you. The guaranteed earnings for pre-booked hours is €10/h from Monday to Friday 17:00 and €12/h from Friday after 17:00 to Sunday.
The picture below illustrates the earnings model for Wolt couriers.
You will receive your payments twice a month. Deliveries made during 1st -15th will be paid by the 25th of each month and 16th - end of the month will be paid by the 10th of each month.
Below are three (3) pictures that illustrate the busiest hours during the week. As you can see, we need you the most from Fridays to Sundays.
- Below is a heat map of Helsinki city centre area.
- The areas inside the red circles indicate the most popular locations for picking up orders.
- The areas indicated by the red circles are areas where you should start when you go online, and where you should return when you drop off a delivery somewhere else.
- Returning back to these areas means shorter pick up times, quicker task completions, and more deliveries done.
Onfleet is used for receiving, accepting and completing delivery tasks. When you’re ready to deliver with Wolt, you can switch yourself online whenever you want and you will automatically start receiving delivery tasks in this application.
Telegram is used for live communication. You can chat with Wolt support through Telegram if you are online and making deliveries.
Telegram is mainly used for:
- Notifying Wolt Support if a restaurant is late
- If you have to cancel your pre-booked hours
- If you have a problem with your vehicle
- If you get lost
When I Work is used for claiming pre-booked hours. Sometimes there is a possibility to pre-book hours, because we need to ensure that we have enough couriers on the roads. If we publish pre-booked hours, you’ll receive them via When I Work. Pre-booked hours are published once a week on Thursdays.
Now you should know what are the three app’s that you need to learn. We’ll go through how the app’s work later in this on-boarding manual, so keep reading :)
One of the most important aspects of being a Wolt Courier is getting the food from the restaurant to the customer, so that the temperature and the packing of the food is the same as it leaves from the restaurant.
Once accepted as a Wolt courier you will receive gear that you will use to deliver orders, mainly food. The importance of knowing how the gear works will ultimately determine the rating that the customer will give you.
- A heating bag for warm food
- A cooler bag for cold food
- Wolt clothing
- Always take the heating or cooler bag with you to the restaurant and the customer when picking up and dropping off orders
- Pack warm food to the heating bag
- Pack cold food to the cooler bag
- Do not mix hot food with cold items. Meaning that don’t put cold drinks with the warm food
- Treat every order like it’s your baby
- Pack and carry the orders carefully, just like it was your own
- If food or drinks spill in your heating or cooler bag, you can exchange it to a clean one from SOL-clean washing for free. You are required to change used heating and cooler bags to clean washed ones every two weeks
If you remember these points, you will do just fine when delivering with Wolt!
- A charger cable for your smartphone or a powerbank
(So your battery doesn’t die while you’re making deliveries)
(To plug your phone charger in)
- Phone holder
(To ensure safety on the road)
- Waterproof wrist phoneholder
(To ensure you can also deliver even if it rains!)
(To ensure your battery doesn’t die!)
(To ensure safety!)
Before going online, always make sure that you have the gear ready:
- Phone charger, so your battery doesn’t die
- Heating and cooler bag to keep the food temperature and packaging perfect
- Wolt clothing on so that the restaurants recognize you
Wolt and couriers are a team and a team is only as strong as its weakest link. Small problems cause chain reactions which will affect other couriers as well, so make sure you know how to use the equipment and that you’re not the weakest link!
We want every Wolt courier to be proud of being a part of Wolt. Wolt most definitely is proud of the couriers we have. Therefore we all should expect professional appearance and hygiene when representing Wolt. Restaurant staff, customers and people around the city see you as representing Wolt, so remember to dress accordingly.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- Wolt clothing
- Black/dark presentable trousers
- Good hygiene
WHAT WE DO NOT ALLOW:
- Baggy sweatpants
- Sandals or flipflops
- Shirts without sleeves
- Nothing that displays political or religious messages
WHAT A WOLT COURIER LOOKS LIKE
1. Your appearance is according to Wolt standards
2. You have all the gear and full battery in your phone
3. You’re inside the delivery area illustrated below
Now let’s walk through one delivery. The application you’ll use for this is Onfleet!
One delivery consists of three parts:
1. Receiving and accepting a delivery task
2. Picking up the order from the restaurant
3. Dropping off the order to the customer
- First step to start receiving delivery tasks is to open the Onfleet application.
- Then turn yourself online in from the switch at the top of the screen as indicated in the picture.
- Once you’re online and inside the delivery area, you will automatically start receiving delivery tasks.
- Here’s a delivery task assigned to you. For each delivery, you’ll receive two tasks.
- A pick up task which is indicated by the arrow up is for picking up the order from the restaurant. The pick up task is indicated in the red box.
- Drop off task which is indicated by the arrow down is for dropping off the order to the customer. The drop off task is indicated on the right, below the pick up tasks red box.
- The arrow indicator is always on the left of the customers name.
- As you’re always going to have to pick up the order before delivering it, you’ll always start with the pick up task. A good rule to remember is to always go from top to bottom as the tasks are always in the correct order.
- Now that you acknowledge the task, remember to check the pick up time. The pick up time is the time that the order will be ready at the restaurant.
- In this case, the pick up time is at 17:30 as you can see inside the red box on the right.
- Remember that this view always shows you the address of the restaurant and the customer, so in this case “Lönnrotinkatu 13” is the restaurants address and “Köydenpunojankatu 2” is the customers address.
- Alright, you’re ready to start the task, so go ahead and tap the pick up task indicated by the arrow up sign.
- Now that you tapped the pick up task and you already know what time the order is ready at the restaurant, you can go ahead and press “Hold to Start”.
- This will indicate that you have accepted the task and you’re on the way to the restaurant.
- The restaurant name is visible always in this view as you can see in the blue box on the right.
- You can easily navigate to the restaurant address by tapping the address highlighted in the red box on the right.
- You have now accepted the task and you’re heading to the restaurant. You can see the bottom of the screen turn green once you’re on a task.
- Find a safe place to park and enter the restaurant with your heating or cooler bag. State to the restaurant staff that you’re there to pick up a Wolt order and mention the name of the customer who’s order you are picking up. The customers name is indicated in the red box on the right.
- You will then receive the order from the staff and you will double check that all the items are in the order. This is easy by simply reading through the order with the restaurant staff. The order details are indicated by the blue box on the right.
- After receiving the correct order and packing it to your heating or cooler bag, you have completed the pick up task, so go ahead and press “Tap to Complete”.
- After you have hit “Tap to Complete”, you will always see this screen.
- You will always hit “Done” from the top right as indicated in the red box on the right.
Let’s summarise the step by step guide to picking up orders from the restaurant:
- Spot the restaurant and find a safe place to park
- Enter the restaurant, always with your heating or cooling bag
- Be polite towards everyone, the customers inside the restaurant and the staff
- State that you’re there to pick up a Wolt order and mention the name of the customer, so the restaurant knows to give you the correct order
- Once you receive the order, double and triple check that you have all the items. You can do this by asking the restaurant staff one by one that everything is in the order
- Most common negative feedback towards Wolt is forgotten items in the order. You can change this!
- Once you have the correct order, pack the order carefully in your heating or cooler bag. Make sure the order doesn’t move around and remember to separate cold items from hot items!
- Be polite towards everyone, the customers inside the restaurant and the staff
Treat people like you want yourself to be treated!
- After completing the pick up task, you’re left with the drop off task. Remember, that the drop off task is always the part where you drop the order to the customer and it is indicated by the arrow down sign.
- On the right you can see the customers address, customers name and the time that the order should be delivered, so in this case 17:45.
- Once you’re in your vehicle and you have placed the heating or cooling bag properly, so that the bag or the food doesn’t move around, you can go ahead and tap the drop off task.
- Alright, you have opened the drop off task. Now that you have the order placed carefully in your vehicle so it doesn’t move around, you should be ready to start heading towards the customers address.
- Once ready, you can tap “Hold to Start”.
- This will again indicate that you’re on the way to the customer - just like in the pick up task - and the customer can follow you on the map.
- Great! You have now started the drop off task. Again, you can see the bottom turn green while you’re doing a task.
- Just like in the pick up task, you can tap the customers address to navigate easily to the correct location. In this case “Köydenpunojankatu 2”.
- Customers very often leave special instructions for you, such as a door code. The special instructions are always visible under the customers name, just like highlighted in the red box on the right. If for some reason you cannot locate the customer, you can always call them by tapping their name!
- Remember to always read through the instructions carefully as it will help you be more efficient.
Ok, now you’re arriving to the customer. Here’s a step by step guide how to ensure that you will receive five stars from the customer!
- Navigate to the customers address, spot the correct apartment or house number and find a safe place to park
- Check all the special instructions carefully, e.g. door codes or buzzer numbers. Customers very often leave detailed information under the special instructions
- If you have trouble finding the address or if the customer is not answering, you can always call the customer
- Never ask the customer to come down to get the order!
- Always take the heating or cooler bag with you to the customer and take the order out only after the customer opens the door. Remember to carry and treat the food like it’s your baby!
The most important part of the delivery is the 5-6 seconds when you hand the order to the customer. You’re the person to determine if the customer orders again through Wolt, so make it count.
Below are some tips from veteran couriers on how they make customers happy:
- Mention that you are from Wolt
- Smile, smile and smile
- Tell the customer to enjoy their meal
- Remember that every situation is different. Be yourself and adapt to each situation uniquely
- Congratulations, you just made your first delivery and made someones day a lot better.
- The task is completed when the customer receives the order, so once you have done that, go ahead and hit “Tap to Complete”
- Again, after completing a task you will get the view where you need to just tap “Done” from the top right corner.
- After that you will be returned to the main view where you will most likely have the next delivery waiting for you!
- Now you should be able to complete home delivery orders all by yourself!
There’s one more important thing before you’re ready to start making deliveries with Wolt. Sometimes you need to pick up two or more orders, before you make the deliveries to the customers. These are usually from nearby restaurants, to customers who live close to each other.
- You’ll recognise the tasks from the arrows. Two tasks with arrows up, means that you have two pick up tasks to take care of. After you’ve done them, you’ll have two tasks with arrows down. This means you’ll drop off the two pickups to different customers.
- Just remember to complete the tasks in the order that they are given - from top to bottom - and you’ll do great! If you plan things ahead, pack the orders very carefully and complete tasks in the correct order you will start earning significantly more money!
If you learn how to complete bundled deliveries efficiently, you will enable yourself to earn significantly more money. This is because you will always be paid for each unique delivery regardless if the orders are from the same restaurant and go in the same building.
Completing bundled tasks requires you to plan things ahead, pack orders very carefully, complete tasks in the correct order and overall you need to be extremely efficient.
Five-star tip: When handling multiple orders at once, always make sure you’ve organized the packaging well, and you’re handing out the right items!
Communication is the key link to success between Wolt and its couriers. If we can’t communicate together, delivering with Wolt will be impossible. Therefore, we’ll go through clear communication guidelines to ensure that you know the pillars in communication.
There are three ways for you to communicate with Wolt, which are:
- Live chat
Is meant for only live delivery matters and for that you will always use Telegram. Live delivery matters might be for example:
- A restaurant is late e.g. Pizza Hut is late 10 minutes
- I can’t reach the customer e.g. I cannot reach the customer even though I have called several times
- Food is spilled and cannot be delivered e.g. I accidentally dropped the order and it cannot be delivered
Calling Wolt Support is meant only for urgent problems such as:
- You were in an accident and not able to continue
- You’re lost and cannot find the pick up or drop off address
Is meant for non-urgent matters meaning that whenever you’re not online making deliveries, your primary way of contacting Wolt is by email. You can email us about anything e.g. payments or contract related questions.
Make sure you read your own email as you will receive weekly newsletters and pay slips in the email you inform us!
There are also office walk-in hours, meaning that you can simply walk into our office and come chat with us!
Delivering orders can be very hectic and we all make mistakes. We’re humans and we learn from them, so don’t worry when you make your first mistake. As long as you know how to react when something goes wrong and you learn from mistakes, you’ll do just fine.
Now as there are four moving parts in a delivery; The courier, the customer, the restaurant and Wolt – it’s not necessarily your fault if a mistake happens. But it’s ultimately up to you how the mistake is fixed. Below you can see a list of most common problems our couriers face.
Customer notices that something is missing from the order
How to react: Be polite and apologize for the inconvenience to the customer. Tell the customer politely that they can reach Wolt Customer Service through the Wolt application and everything will be fixed there.
Customer does not accept to take the order from me
How to react: Be polite and apologize for the inconvenience to the customer. Remember to never get into an argument with the customer. Be humble and tell the customer politely that they can reach Wolt Customer Service through the Wolt application and everything will be fixed there.
The food is spilled all over my car or heating/cooler bag
How to react: Contact Wolt Support immediately. Do not deliver any orders if the packing has failed. It doesn’t matter if it was the restaurants or your fault – we never deliver orders with broken packing due to hygiene reasons.
I am lost and I cannot find the restaurant or the customer
How to react: The longer you wonder around the colder the food gets. Therefore the first thing you want to do is to check your location from Onfleet. Are you near the correct location? Check the special instructions in the task as well. If you still can't find the correct location, contact Wolt Support.
I got into an accident
How to react: Depending on the seriousness of the accident, call the emergency center and then if possible Wolt Support.
My Onfleet jammed
How to react: Close the app and restart it. If it still doesn’t work, restart your phone or go to airplane mode and back.
I got a task and I’m already late from the pick up
How to react: Accept the task and head to the restaurant asap!
The restaurant is late and I have to wait for the order
How to react: Be polite and wait. Sometimes restaurants are late and that is life. Never ever get into an argument with the restaurant. Wolt measures restaurant preparation times and we do everything in our power to reduce your waiting time.
I got a parking ticket
How to react: Send us an email and you will receive a reclamation template that you can use. If the reclamation is revoked, contact us again and explain what happened. We will review parking tickets case by case.
I cannot reach the customer/not picking up the phone
How to react: Contact Wolt Support immediately and we’ll send an in-app message to the customer. In-app message means that our Support sends a message to the customer inside the Wolt application. If you cannot reach the customer after 15 minutes of waiting, you can continue to the next task.
Customer typed the wrong address
How to react: Stay calm and do not get into an argument with the customer. Simply navigate to the correct address and let Wolt Support know and we’ll make sure you will be compensated for the actual distance.
Customer did not leave special instructions for door code or apartment number
How to react: Check the address details carefully and if you notice that there is clearly information missing, call the customer to ask more specific instructions.
- Be motivated to work hard and care about making people happy
- Have a positive attitude and smile a lot
- Master Onfleet as it’s your most important tool
- Stay focused throughout the day
- Always use your heating and cooler bag
- Pack orders very carefully, just like it was yours
- Never get into an argument with a customer or restaurant staff
- Plan ahead
- Make sure you have all the gear ready before going online
- Triple check orders at the restaurant
- Be pro-active and learn city streets and restaurant locations
- Position yourself around areas with popular restaurants
- Violating customer privacy
Examples of violating customer privacy:
- Entering customers apartment without permission.
- Asking a customer or restaurant staff out for a date.
- Calling or sending text messages to customers after completing the delivery.
- Stalking customers or restaurant staff.
- If a Wolt courier violates customer privacy at any point, it will lead to immediate termination of the contract and most likely to police actions as well.
- Using customers contact details for anything else except completing a delivery
- It is strictly prohibited to contact any customer at any point after completing the delivery.
- Storing customers contact details
- It is strictly prohibited to store any phone numbers, names or addresses after completing the delivery.
- Picking up or dropping off orders without the heating or cooler bag
- Being rude to customers or restaurant staff
- Getting into an argument with customers or restaurant staff
- Carrying pizza vertically
- Talking on the phone while picking up or dropping off orders
- Constantly missing items from orders
- Smoking or drinking alcohol with Wolt gear on
- Smoking in the car while making deliveries
- Do not eat orders that you’re picking up, we will find out
If you have any questions, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org